Faith

Faith

Monday, March 14, 2011

Balance? Really, does it exist?

Balance...does it exist?  Does anyone ever feel like they are ahead of the game and not constantly play an endless game of "catch up"?  I am, by no means, a planner, organizer, scheduler kind of person, but I'm beginning to think I'd be more efficient at everything if I was :)

Chad and I are working to figure out mealtimes and keeping our 29 lb, 32 in. 1 year old, full!  He is a bottomless pit lately and we are constantly planning and preparing to stay ahead of him.  We spent yesterday afternoon cutting fruit, veggies and cooking for the week ahead, because momma has hit the 3rd trimester wall and would just like to sleep 24 hours a day!

In addition to working full time jobs and strategically planning to get out of debt and save for our own home, our plates tend to be full.  When we're home together (every night, thankfully) we have a beautiful routine and it's all about our family.  We cook dinner, (even if that means tuna sandwiches) have a ton of fun playing with Brady and walking around the house with him wobblyingly holding our hands for security and enjoy bath-time.  The weekends usually consist of catching up on laundry and getting out and about a little.  Sometimes the "routine" drives me crazy, as I wish I had more time or energy to live life a little more excitingly, but then there are days when I'm so thankful for the monotony.  Brady is changing so much, so quickly.  He's finally crawling and has now moved on to wanting to walk everywhere.  Which is not necessarily fun when you're nearly 8 months pregnant and have worked an 8 hour stressful day.  BUT- his smile and squeal make it all worth it.

Now, I'm by no means complaining about my job.  If I really wanted to stay home, I would, but in all honesty...I kind of enjoy the distraction of a job and the feeling of productivity I get.  I run a daycare of about 60 kiddos and 15-16 employees.  It's not glamorous by any means as I've been known to plunge a toilet or two and have tweezed many a various item out of little noses!  I like to think I'm contributing to society in some small way though :)

We have been talking very seriously about homeschooling our little ones.  I love the idea of being my children's teacher, but that also adds to the hats I will wear.  I am totally committed to the idea and still have a few years to get our resources together, so no big debates needed now.  I know it's a controversial subject, but after teaching in both public and private schools...it's just what I feel most confident in.  I want to teach them HOW to think, not just what to think.  Anyway, that's a blog in itself!

Life is going to get interesting and I can't wait to welcome Ms. Brooklyn to our family.  I'm excited and terrified at the same time to have a daughter.  Girls just seem like a whole different ballgame.  Not to mention I wasn't crazy about being one myself :)  I'm looking forward to shopping weekends and getting our nails done- maybe she'll bring the princess out of me!  Her room is coming together...slowly at times it seems, but it's definitely a girls room.    There are still a few little details to take care of, but I certainly learned with Brady that what I think is going to be important usually isn't and the things I've overlooked always seem to find the spotlight.

If there are any supermoms, either stay-at-home or working with great tips on how to keep my sanity- I welcome them!!

3 comments:

  1. We all feel behind sometimes, but it's no big deal. I am a planner and it's hard to have everything ready and thought-out ahead of time. I try to always have some left-overs on hand for Trinity. As long as you're a step ahead of Brady you'll be fine...especially when it comes to meals. :) We're going to homeschool too. I'm scared I won't know what to do, but I have some time to figure it out still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will share my two cents although I am far from a super mom. In fact, it seems I miss or mess something up everyday! ;o)
    The only way I know just keep that sanity is just to breathe in and out and on the really tough days, pray on through!
    On meals, there are some pasta bowls by Gerber that I keep on hand for days I don't have something cooked or fresh to give Levi and I don't have time to cook. Also, there are squeezable applesauce packets that travel well and he LOVES those. You can get those at WalMart now but, I get mine at Trader Joes. Oh, another good thing at Trader Joes is their cereal bars. I feel okay about giving those to him because they don't have all the hydrogentated oils and high fructose junk in them. Hope this helps some!
    It sounds like you are doing an incredible job of balancing and we could actually learn from you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Brandy, I'm really conscious of ingredients too. I really think people have more health issues and contract different diseases because of the additives to our foods these days. I won't keep him from enjoying some McD's every now and then, but I try to feed him as much organic and fresh foods as possible without going broke at the same time!

    ReplyDelete